James “Jim” S. Gates
Personal Injury Lawyer
Jim is an experienced Personal Injury Attorney located in Opelousas, Louisiana and represents clients throughout the state. Always interested in being a trial lawyer, he worked his way through jobs ranging from construction work, equipment operator and waiter to law clerk for the East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney’s Office, the Louisiana legislature and various private attorneys before beginning practice in law in 1986.
Jim has devoted his practice to representing people injured in automobile, trucking and other types of accidents. He has extensive trial and appellate experience, having tried and argued many jury trials, judge trials and appeals in Louisiana state and federal courts. He has also been admitted to practice Pro Hoc Vice in other states with local counsel.
Jim has served the legal profession in various positions—Chairman of the Duhe American Inn of Court, and delegate to the Louisiana State Bar Association House of Delegates.
Jim and his wife, Cindy, have been married for 40 years, and are the parents of two adult daughters and three grandsons. When he is not helping clients, Jim enjoys exercising, reading and spending quality time with his family.
- Personal Injury
- Automobile Accidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. 1985
- Honors & Leadership:
- American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law
- American Jurisprudence Award for Excellence in Civil Liberties
- Vice Chairman of the Moot Court Board
- Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- B.S. 1981
- Major: English & Political Science
- Louisiana State
- U.S. District Court Eastern, Western and Middle Districts
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Academy of Truck Accident Attorney
- American Association for Justice
- Louisiana Association for Justice
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Acadiana’s Top Lawyers, 2013—present